The parish of St. Albert’s was established in 1902 and the first church was built under the leadership of Fr. Joseph Jagerman in 1906 in what was then called Saint Michael Station. He was also the first resident pastor. The village began to be called “Albertville” in 1909. Eventually a rectory and a convent were built on either side of the church. A parish school opened in September of 1915 and continued to function here until 1968. The School Sisters of Notre Dame staffed the school. On September 11, 1980 the school building was torn down to make room for the Parish Center. Since 1916, the parish of St. Albert’s was pastored by the priests of the Oblates of Mary Immaculate. Their ministry was greatly valued and appreciated in the parish through many decades. However, because of the shortage of members in the Order, the Oblates left the parish of St. Albert’s in 2001 and the Archdiocesan priests began to minister here. In 2003 the parish entered into a cluster relationship with the parish of St. John the Baptist in Dayton, sharing a pastor. Eventually a deacon was assigned and an administrator appointed for both the parishes. Fr. Xavier Thelakkatt was assigned the pastoral responsibilities for this parish-cluster of St. Albert’s and St. John the Baptist. Fr. Xavier was called back to his home country of India to continue his priestly ministry after being on loan to serve as a priest in this Archdiocese for more than 20 years. Effective September 1, 2015, the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis changed the cluster relationship that paired St. Albert with the Church of St. John the Baptist to instead cluster St. Albert with the Church of St. Michael in St. Michael. Together these parishes are served by Fr. Peter Richards and his associate pastor Fr. Joah Ellis. The present structure of the church was built in 1973 and the old church, rectory and convent buildings are still standing in the neighborhood. The new church is a modern structure on one level and it can seat 450 people in the nave and about 100 in the narthex. The Parish Center across the street is the largest such facility in Albertville. It has a well-furnished kitchen, a dining hall that can seat 400, class rooms and necessary office space. St. Albert’s takes pride in the 13 religious women, 1 brother, and 4 priests that the parish has produced during the 110 year history. The parish prays and looks forward to more parishioners entering religious life.
Our strength and our help in this is Jesus Christ, especially in and through the Eucharist.
“Because there is one bread, we who are many are one body, for we all partake of the one bread” ~(1 Cor 10:17).